Boys & Girls Clubs of Harford County
Appoints 8 New Directors to Board
(January 2014—Harford County)
Boys & Girls Clubs of Harford County is pleased to announce the appointment of several new members to their board of directors. “As the Boys & Girls Clubs of Harford County approaches its 25th anniversary next year, we are very excited about the momentum and energy our new board will bring to this milestone event,” says Tim Wills, Executive Director for the Clubs. “Our Clubs service over 400 children each day from five locations around the County so it’s important we add members to our board with the reach and experience necessary to grow our resources,” adds Jeff Foulk, current Board President.
New Members of the Board of Directors:
Laura A. Barwick, CPA, Founder, Barwick CPA
- Laura is a graduate of the University of Baltimore and a Maryland Certified Public Accountant with over 20 years of accounting, auditing, tax, estate planning, and management advisory services experience. A resident of Jarrettsville, Laura founded her own public accounting firm in May 2011 in Fallston. Prior to launching Laura A. Barwick CPA, LLC (doing business as Barwick CPA), Laura was a Principal at a mid-sized CPA firm in Towson, Maryland. Laura currently serves as Treasurer for the Jarrettsville Volunteer Fire Company, Inc. in Jarrettsville, Maryland, and has volunteered in the past as Treasurer of the Harford Community Tennis Association in Bel Air and served as a past Board Member for the Center for Fathers, Families, and Workforce Development in Baltimore.
Glen Bassett, Site Executive, Raytheon
- Glen Bassett joined Raytheon in 1997 and is currently the Site Executive for Raytheon operations at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland and the Director of the Advanced Communications & Countermeasures (ACC) business group. Glen holds a BS ME from Cornell University, a MS EE from the Naval Postgraduate School, and a MS in Systems Management from the Catholic University of America. He is a graduate of the Naval War College and the Defense Systems Management College where he received the Commandant’s Award for Technical Excellence. Glen served 11 years active duty in the United States Marine Corps, and 19 years in the Marine Corps Reserve, holding command at the platoon, company and squadron level. He retired as a Colonel in 2010. Glen and his wife, Shirley, reside in Havre de Grace, MD, and have two children, Katie and Chris.
Shawn Browning, DoD Operations at OARU
- Shawn Browning leads the Oak Ridge Associated Universities’ Department of Defense (DoD) and National Institutes of Health Programs Group. He joined ORAU in 2012 after previously launching his career there as research fellow at APG. With a strong knowledge of IT and policy consulting, Shawn currently oversees 1,500 fellowship participants globally with singular majority located in and around the Maryland Area. Shawn grew up in Harford County and graduated Towson University with dual degrees in English and Philosophy with a concentration in Logic. He is an active member of the Project Management Institute and currently resides in Nottingham, Maryland.
Dexter M. Davis , Senior Financial Advisor, Merrill Lynch
- Dexter Davis started in the financial services industry in 1987 with Kidder Peabody in Virginia Beach. Dexter later moved to the Bel Air area and was recruited by Ferris Baker Watts to become a Financial Advisor in downtown Baltimore. Shortly thereafter, he became the Branch Manager at the Bel Air office. After building both a personal business as well as a branch office, Dexter made the decision to manage personal assets as well as business assets, joining Merrill Lynch in 1995 as one of three Financial Advisors that opened the office in Bel Air. He is a member of the Chairman’s Club with Merrill Lynch and is currently residing in Bel Air with his two children and wife Nancy.
Michele M. Joyner, RP, Director of Client Services, The Kelly Group
- Michele Joyner, a Registered Paraplanner and Director of Client Services, oversees all facets of client management and maintains ongoing relationship support. Since joining The Kelly Group in 1999, Michele has earned an Associate’s Degree in General Studies and a certificate in Accounting from Harford Community College. She is currently working towards earning her Bachelor’s degree in Business and Finance at Towson University. She is an adjunct instructor for Harford Community College where she teaches computerized accounting and payroll courses. Active in the community participating in several fundraising events, Michele is a 2012 graduate of the Harford Leadership Academy, has been a member of the Advisory Board of the Academy of Finance since 2010 and is a volunteer for SARC.
Michael J. Miller, Chairman of Essential Brands, Inc.
- Born and raised in Catonsville, Baltimore County, Michael is a graduate of Mount Saint Joseph High School and Towson University where he earned a BS degree in Business Administration and Finance. He joined his father’s business, Kiddie Academy, in 1984 focusing on growth and supervision of all aspects. He is a veteran of the childcare and franchise industry and led Kiddie Academy to become a national leader in education-based childcare. He is currently the Chairman of Essential Brands, Inc. (Kiddie Academy’s parent company) Board of Directors and focuses on the continual enhancement and development of the Kiddie Academy brand experience. Michael has lived in Harford County since 1989 with his wife and two children.
Paul J. Vogel, Managing Director – Strategic Investments at Allegis Group
- Paul Vogel has been part of the leadership team at Allegis Group, the largest recruitment and HR services company in the United States, for over 17 years. Since 2009, Paul has led the Strategic Investments (M&A) team interacting with the Allegis board, leadership from their various operating companies, and senior leadership from target companies. He has met with leaders throughout the world growing the global capabilities of the Allegis Group in the US, Europe, Asia, and Australia. Paul graduated from Bel Air High School and Towson University. He and his wife Michelle live in Bel Air with their three children.
Benny Walker, CPA Weyrich Cronin & Sorra
- Benny joined Weyrich, Cronin & Sorra helping establish their Bel Air office in 1998. He holds a Bachelor of Business Administration from Stetson University and Masters of Business Administration from Loyola College. Benny is a lifelong resident of Harford County serving and volunteering for organizations like the Albert P. Close Foundation, the Community Foundation of Harford County, Calvary Baptist Church, and, at the appointment by the County Executive, the Harford County Economic Development Advisory Board. Benny is also a member of the Bel Air Rotary, the Harford County BB&T Advisory Board, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants, and the National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts.
About Boys & Girls Clubs of Harford County:
Boys & Girls Clubs of Harford County was established in 1989 by a group of concerned citizens in the Aberdeen area. Our mission is to inspire and enable all youth, especially those who need us most, to realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens. The Club is open to all youth ages 6 to 18 and provides positive youth development programs in five core areas: Character and Leadership Development; Health & Life Skills; Education & Career Development; the Arts; and Sports, Fitness and Recreation. For more information, visit www.bgcharfordco.org or call 410-272-0010.